Saturday, September 13, 2008

why I am running

I initially decided to run a very unserious campaign, both with the thought that it just might be fun to create flyers, campaign statements, etc., and with the thought that it might be a good way to get my students at BSU thinking more about the election, in particular, thinking in new ways about some of the issues. But within 24 hours, I decided I would make it a serious campaign.

First, running a serious campaign would be a better way of getting not just my students, but anyone who I could make aware of my candidacy, to think more about the election and the relevant issues in perhaps different and better ways.

Second, I would like to do my part in getting US voters to think more seriously about voting outside the two major parties. Although I certainly understand the motivation not to, I nonetheless think it is very unfortunate that potentially very good presidents, such as Ralph Nader and John Hagelin (Natural Law Party candidate in 1992, 1996 and 2000), never have a real shot for fear that the "worse" major party candidate will get elected.

Third, generalizing on the second point, I think running a presidential campaign, even of this small-scale write-in sort, could potentially have worthwhile political effects and lead to beneficial political changes, or least be the beginning of a process in the direction of such. For much more detailed discussion of this, see the 9/13/08 blog entry "why vote for me".

Fourth, if I really had the opportunity to be president, I would take it, not because I think it would contribute to my happiness, but because I really do feel passionately about my high-level moral and political beliefs and, having devoted loads of time and my philosophical skills in thinking about them, I really do think I would be good for the country by way of practically applying those beliefs as president. And, if I run several write-in campaigns over the years, and then perhaps a real national campaign or two, I just might be able to get myself on the political map, and who knows, in 20 or 30 years or so actually have a real shot.

No comments: