Monday, September 15, 2008

on calling things "stupid"

(This entry should probably be in "other", but it's important enough that I want to put it where it's most likely to be read, namely, "basics".)

In some of my blog entries I will inevitably call (in fact, already have called) something "stupid" or the like. (Perhaps I will even call someONE stupid. Face it, there are stupid people out there, even though most stupid things are said by non-stupid people; even the very smart say stupid things here and there). As a fringe candidate who is not running with the thought that he actually might win, I'm not going to worry about being PC; so when I think something is stupid, I will feel free to call it that. There simply is no way to be nicer about it without actually changing the content of what you're saying. (There are, of course, ways to be meaner about it, such as calling something "fucking retarded". Those ways I will happily avoid.)

In fact, I'm sure at some point between now and Election Day, I will say one or more stupid things (even by my own standards) in my blog entries (if I haven't already). When you think you have identified such a thing, please call me on it. Add a comment to the relevant blog entry, tell me it's stupid, and tell me why you think that; if you like, even title your comment "you said something stupid". If I agree, I will admit I said something stupid, and if I don't, I will explain why (to the degree that time-constraints allow).

This is politics, and it has much much far too significant impact on all our lives not to call something stupid "stupid", just to avoid hurting some feelings. (Of course, if you really think you have a shot at winning the presidency, then you will avoid doing this, but only because it will be strategically wise in the face of the fact that many do not appreciate what I am here saying.)

Be careful to note this is a very different thing from saying it is okay to GRATUITOUSLY hurt feelings.

No comments: